Civil Commitments Lawyer in Athens and Huntsville, AL

Civil Commitments

Involuntary civil commitment in Alabama is a legal intervention whereby a person is involuntarily placed in the custody of the State Department of Mental Health for treatment.

Request Your Free Consultation for Civil Commitment Matters

NOTE: A person cannot be committed because of a drug or alcohol problem.

When should a person be committed?

When there is clear, unequivocal and convincing evidence that:

  • The person is mentally ill; and
  • Because of the mental illness, the person poses a real and present threat of substantial harm to himself or others; and
  • The person will continue to experience mental distress and deterioration of ability to function independently if not treated; and
  • The person is unable to make a rational decision regarding treatment.

Who may file a petition to initiate an involuntary commitment proceeding?

Any person may seek to have another person committed by filing a petition with the Probate Court in accordance with §22-52-1.2.

Please call us to assist you.